Friday, June 22, 2012

Rats 103 - Guest Blogger: Will Shakespeare Asks, "What's in a name?"

I like to think I'm pretty good with words but I really don't think I hold a candle to this guy. Please welcome William Shakespeare to Twist Of Liam as he adds his two pence. 



Sayeth Kitty:
Romeo Rat, Romeo Rat, wherefore art thou Romeo Rat?
Deny thy father genus species and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love understanding,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet Rat-hating Cat.
...
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague Rodent.
What's Montague Vermin? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo Rat would, were he not Romeo Rat call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo Rat, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Later sayeth Rat:
By a name
I know not how to tell thee who I am:
My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself,
Because it is an enemy to thee;
Had I it written, I would tear the word.

~~ W Shakespeare

So, there you have it. Shakespeare himself has been trying for ages to explain how rats simply got shortchanged in the PR department. You just can't say "Rat" and make it sound nice. "Rodent" and "vermin" don't sound much better, either. Have you ever tried to use either of these as a compliment? or a nickname for your spouse? 

What if we just started calling them something friendly and familiar... like"giggles"? Who wouldn't want a furry little giggle in their classroom???


{This is the third entry in this series. 
If you are curious or want to know what you missed, start here.}

4 comments:

  1. These rat posts are cracking me up. And also remind me of a book called The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying them! I don't think its a popular topic...readership just isn't what it used to be.

      I haven't read that book but I will definitely investigate it.

      Liam
      Ⓣwist ⓞf Ⓛiam

      Delete
    2. The book is on Youtube in audiobook format if anyone is curious.

      Click here for part one of the series.

      Liam
      Ⓣwist ⓞf Ⓛiam

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...