Saturday, June 2, 2012

MAC-ing the Most of It

So as I mentioned last time, I've been going through some changes. The whole "Engagement-Turned-Long-Distance-Relationship-Thing" has been an ordeal that I continue to work through and can only tell myself each day that I'm one day closer to being back together again. 199 days until I fly back to Canada and 21 hours of flight time - not that I'm counting.

More to the point though, another lifestyle change I've made was to switch to a Mac. Yay! I kind of look at it like learning styles - we all have our own preference for how to learn so it makes sense that we all have our own preferred way to work. I'm not making a judgement or wanting to start a debate about which is better but I will say that I've had mine for almost a month now and I might understand if Alanna got a little jealous. I pretty much love my Mac as much as a person can healthily love a piece of computer goodness.

So, if it's not to settle which is best, why am I telling you this? Well it's actually because I don't really know how to use it. Nay, I don't know how BEST to use it. I've got a lot of the basics sorted and I know Garage Band, iMovie, and Comic Life are great and but what I really want to know is this:

If you were setting up a new Macbook (Pro), what would be the programs you would MAKE SURE were installed?

P.S. If you use a PC, don't worry, I still love you.  :D

(It's so nice to be back!)

7 comments:

  1. Well, my HAVE TO HAVE program is Word, no matter if I am on my MacBook or previous Windows come a Toshiba. However, my other favorite programs I actually use are Photo Booth and of course iTunes. Fav program I don't use... Sticky notes. Ok I use it just not often.

    Have fun learning to use it. I LOVE all the little features that I have on a Mac that are not avaliable on a Windows.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I bought word at the same time as the Mac. I'm just too familiar with it and it's shortcuts to try switching to Pages...maybe someone will be able to convince me otherwise...

      Liam

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ms. M...I got word for my MacBook Pro right away. Other than that, I haven't really needed much. I adore my Mac!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd struggle without Abobe, make sure if possible to get a write version and not just the reader as this affords you the luxury of saving word files as PDFs. I would also suggest getting the most up to date version of the SMART board software, SMART11, though this does depend to some extent on the hardware your school uses.
    I'm currently stuck on a PC and have developed a thick callous on my forehead from banging it against the desk. Still, I get a Mac again in 43 days and 4 hours flight time. Not that I'm counting. Hope you're well Liam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Begg. Sorry about the head injuries but I'm sure it will all heal when you get your hands on the Apple Goodness again.

      Glad you stopped by!

      Liam

      Delete
  4. Once you go MAC you never go back! I super puffy heart love all things apple. It took me longer than it should have to make the jump from a PC and I kick myself daily. Do you have Apple Stores in NZ? Are they these brightly lit meccas of happiness that draw you in? LOVE!

    When I bought my first macbook in 09 I asked for MS Office (Word, Power Point, etc) and was convinced by the salesboy...perhaps salesteen would be more appropriate...that I wanted iWork instead (pages, keynote, etc). Because entering that store puts me into a hypnotic trance I'm pretty sure he could have convinced me to do anything quite easily. And so I bought iWork.

    And I cursed that salesteen daily for a very long time.

    I knew word. I understood word.

    But, then as I started to take the time to learn pages I fell in love. It is so much better IMHO. I create all of my products in Pages and Keynote. So I suggest those. I also could not live without Photoshop. :) Jodi from the Clutter-Free Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am considering Photoshop but it is so expensive, I am kinda hoping there is a cheap alternative to it available in the App Store that people will recommend.

      Yeah, the Mac Stores here are just as uber-awesome and purchase-inspiring. Very dangerous place for me to be left unattended...

      Liam

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...